Our 2020 Summer Camps at The Mayapple School offer young campers a space for exploration and adventure with guidance from experienced, caring educators. This year, we extend our program hours and add in a field trip each week to nearby hidden gems. Our nature-rich camps renew children’s love and excitement for the outdoors, just the way summer is meant to be experienced.
Campers for both camp sessions must be:
- Four, five, six, or seven years old.
- Fully self-toileting and willing to pee in the woods.
- Able to walk at least one mile while carrying a light backpack (containing lunch, water bottle, change of clothes)
- Have no special needs that would prevent them or others from benefiting from the summer camp environment.
About field trips:
One day each week will be spent at a nearby natural location, listed in the program description below. On the day of the field trip, parents will drop their camper off at the site of the field trip and pick them up from the site of the field trip. The Mayapple School will not transport children to/from the field trip location.
Week One June 22 – 26 “Caves and Waterfalls” 9 am– 4:15 pm
We will begin the week at The Mayapple School learning about the animals that inhabit the unique ecosystems of caves and waterfalls. Using beginning engineering skills, students will also create their own “waterfalls” using pipes, gutters, clear sheeting, funnels, or other loose parts. Later in the week, we’ll enjoy a full day at Falls Ridge Preserve, viewing the waterfall and exploring small caves along a one mile hiking loop. Other activities include making our own “stalactites,” making and using our own water slide, and learning about erosion.
Week Two June 29 – July 3 “Animal Adventures” 9 am – 4:15 pm
Each day, campers will inhabit the world of a different animal through dramatic play and games that hone special animal skills. Our adventures will straddle the line between appreciation of the real and delight in the imaginary as we make maps, build animal homes, and participate in art and story. We’ll hone our tracking skills as we look for and learn about animals and their signs. This week, we’ll enjoy a full day at Price Park, where we will take an aquatic lens to our animal adventures.
Sign Up: You can sign your camper up for one or both weeks. Registration and payment can be found online here.
Cost: $220 per week
Refund and Session Change Policy:
- Refund requests made more than 4 weeks prior to the start date of camp are subject to a $25.00 fee per week of camp.
- Refund requests made 2-4 weeks prior to the start date of camp are subject to $55.00 fee per week of camp.
- Refund requests made with 1-2 weeks notice prior to the start date of camp are subject to a $110 fee per week of camp.
- No refund requests will be processed if less than 1 week of prior notice is given.
- Should we be able to accommodate your request, your session change request will incur a $20 fee.
- Children whose families demonstrate financial need are eligible to apply. Please e-mail melissa at mayapple dot org for an application