The Mayapple School is currently looking for part time substitute teachers to provide caregiving and teaching services in our multi-age classroom (ages 3, 4, and 5) on an as-needed basis during the 2019-2020 school year. Our school-year program is the only nature preschool in the New River Valley, and runs from mid August to mid June, with a two week break over the winter holidays.
Substitute Teaching is a great way to be positively involved in our community, and allows our school to continue operating to meet the needs of our preschoolers’ families even when one of The Mayapple School teachers in unable to be at school. Normally, two teachers lead a classroom of 16 students in daily activities. When one teacher is unable to be at school, the substitute teacher will act as an assistant to the remaining teacher. Substitute teachers are not expected to lead classrooms independently.
The Substitute Teacher should have the appropriate disposition and background that will make him or her a good fit for the position and our school, and should be able to:
- Interact positively with children and families, with the belief that all children have inherent worth and are capable of learning. Contribute to a welcoming environment.
- Fill out injury reports, perform first aid as needed, and communicate with parents about illnesses and injuries.
- Facilitate problem solving and conflict resolution within the classroom using positive discipline and gentle guidance techniques. The Substitute Teacher should view problem solving as an opportunity for learning.
- Facilitate the enjoyment of the outdoors. All staff members should enjoy being outside and be able to maintain their own comfort levels in all weathers, including clothing themselves appropriately. All should view the outdoors as a second classroom and be able to interact with students and participate in classroom life just as they would if they were indoors. Substitute teachers should be able to assist competently on the playground with fixed structures and loose parts, and on daily exploration of our forested areas.
- Maintain a classroom environment conducive to resting during afternoon nap times.
- Maintain a safe, playful, and loving classroom environment. This includes cleaning the classroom and restroom, maintaining appropriate teacher: student ratios and sound & sight supervision, and responding to children’s needs.
- Complete needed cleaning tasks such as washing tables and chairs after lunch time, sanitizing bathrooms, sweeping and mopping floors, vacuuming, and assisting children with water, food, and bathroom messes or accidents.
- Participate in occasional professional development outside of regular hours. This will mainly involve training before hire. Be responsive to Teacher feedback.
- The Substitute Teacher should communicate with Mayapple Teachers the best way to contact her, any changes in contact information, and be able to be contacted at odd hours (not between 10 pm and 6 am) if she will be available the next day. The substitute teacher should have regular availability for at least four 3.5 hour periods during the school week M – F 8:30 am – 3:00pm, OR 3 full school days. The substitute teacher will also communicate when she is not regularly available or when availability changes.
- Follow school and licensure regulations as found in staff and parent handbooks, and Virginia Department of Social Services Child Day Center Regulations. The Assistant must be at least 18 years old, in good physical condition that allows him/her to complete all job tasks, and provide all required tax forms, background checks, and other necessary paperwork in a timely manner.
Each candidate MUST include a resume AND letter of interest (cover letter). The Mayapple School is willing to train the right individual, with a preference for those who can commit to the entire school year. Although on-location parking is available for staff members, transportation is not necessary– The Mayapple School is located within walking distance from the BT bus line. E-mail your application to melissa at mayapple dot org.
Invited candidates will have an opportunity to review daily routines with and meet classroom teachers during the interview process. Other interview questions/discussion will include individual’s prior job and volunteer experiences (especially working with children) comfort with the outdoors, availability/schedule, and interest in The Mayapple School’s specific model of education.
Salary: $10.00 /hour