The Mayapple School is currently looking for a part time Teacher Assistant to provide caregiving and teaching services in our multi-age classroom (ages 3, 4, and 5) for two afternoons per week during the 2019-2020 school year. Our school-year program is the only nature preschool in the New River Valley, and runs from mid August to mid June, with a two week break over the winter holidays.
The Assistant Teacher should be willing and able to assist the Teaching Director and Teacher in all aspects of classroom life. The Assistant Teacher should have the appropriate disposition and background that will make him or her a good fit for the position and our school, and should be able to:
- Interact positively with children and families, with the belief that all children have inherent worth and are capable of learning. Contribute to a welcoming environment.
- Fill out injury reports, perform first aid as needed, and communicate with parents about illnesses and injuries.
- Facilitate problem solving and conflict resolution within the classroom using positive discipline and gentle guidance techniques. The Assistant Teacher should view problem solving as an opportunity for learning.
- Facilitate the enjoyment of the outdoors. All staff members should enjoy being outside and be able to maintain their own comfort levels in all weathers, including clothing themselves appropriately. All should view the outdoors as a second classroom and be able to interact with students and participate in classroom life just as they would if they were indoors. Assistant teachers should be able to assist competently on the playground with fixed structures and loose parts, and on daily exploration of our forested areas.
- Use and/or be willing to learn research based, developmentally appropriate teaching practices that encourage critical thinking, creativity, and metacognition in children.
- Assistant in maintaining individual child documentation, such as child observations records and portfolio maintenance.
- Maintain a classroom environment conducive to resting during afternoon nap times.
- Work individually and/or in small groups with children by providing guidance and/or mini-lessons on the child’s chosen work (i.e. puzzles, beginning phonics, handwriting, etc.)
- Maintain a safe, playful, and loving classroom environment. This includes cleaning the classroom and restroom, maintaining appropriate teacher: student ratios and sound & sight supervision, and responding to children’s needs.
- Complete needed cleaning tasks such as washing tables and chairs after lunch time, sanitizing bathrooms, sweeping and mopping floors, vacuuming, and assisting children with water, food, and bathroom messes or accidents.
- Participate in occasional professional development outside of regular hours. This will mainly involved training before hire including all-staff training before the start of the school year. Be responsive to Teaching Director feedback.
- The Assistant Teacher should maintain her regular school hours as set forth in her/his employment agreement or agreed upon with supervisors, and be punctual, responsible, and professional. Some flexibility of schedule is available, however the preferred schedule is Tuesday/Thursday from 11:45 am – 3:00 pm.
- Follow school and licensure regulations as found in staff and parent handbooks, and Virginia Department of Social Services Child Day Center Regulations. The Assistant must be at least 18 years old, in good physical condition that allows him/her to complete all job tasks, and provide all required tax forms, background checks, and other necessary paperwork in a timely manner.
Each candidate MUST include a resume AND letter of interest (cover letter). The Mayapple School is willing to train the right individual, with a preference for those who can commit to the entire school year. Although on-location parking is available for staff members, transportation is not necessary– The Mayapple School is located within walking distance from the BT bus line. E-mail your application to melissa at mayapple dot org.
Invited candidates will have an opportunity to review daily routines with and meet classroom teachers during the interview process. Other interview questions/discussion will include individual’s prior job and volunteer experiences (especially working with children) comfort with the outdoors, availability/schedule, and interest in The Mayapple School’s specific model of education.
Salary: $10.00 /hour