Call for Board Members and Committee Members
The Mayapple School offers creative, place-based education for ages 3-6 in the New River Valley. We opened our doors in August 2015 as a subsidiary of the 501c3 arts and education non-profit, LoCo Arts, and are currently the only nature preschool in the New River Valley. The Mayapple School Board has its own Board of Advisors, and we are currently seeking nominations of strongly qualified individuals. Self-nominations are encouraged; all nominated parties shall be informed of and consent to nomination beforehand. Click here to apply.
- Attend regular board meetings at the site of The Mayapple School, held monthly.
- Visit The Mayapple School during operating hours at least once per school year in order to accurately convey The Mayapple School’s operations and services. Act as an ambassador of The Mayapple School through promotion of its activities.
- Actively participate in an annual strategic planning process to set goals and steps for achieving The Mayapple School’s mission and vision.
- Make ongoing evaluations and give input with The Mayapple School’s strategic goals and best interests in mind, while adhering to the highest ethical decision making.
- Participate in subcommittees or action items, directly supporting The Mayapple School in reaching its goals. Subcommittees and action items will form in response to need. Individuals interested in helping with action items yet not able to fully commit as a board member are welcome to apply as committee member, without full standing on the board. Currently, The Mayapple School has a strong need for:
- Fundraising for scholarships. We have a current need of up to $20,000 per school year in scholarship needs in our community. The Mayapple School Board of Advisors will assess, plan, and enact plans to meet scholarship needs, including identification and solicitation of potential donors.
- Meeting challenges of the Mountain Valley Pipeline. We are currently housed in the old Newport School. However, this site is located in the “blast zone” of the proposed 42” pipeline. As a result, The Mayapple School faces the large challenge of relocation. The Mayapple School Board of Advisors will take a pro-active stance towards meeting this challenge, including assessing and raising funds for moving to a new site.
- Liaison activities. One or more board members will also be appointed to the LoCo Arts Board, and will act as a liason between LoCo Arts and The Mayapple School. A liason would also be useful between the Newport Community Action Committee (the organization that we rent from) and The Mayapple School. Opportunities are also available to liason with the public at events and on site with potential preschool or camper families.
- Support The Mayapple School through donation of skills, time, and assets in a way that is personally significant to you. Members of The Mayapple School Board of Advisors serve in a voluntary capacity and receive no monetary remuneration for their services.
- Provide proper financial oversight by developing an annual budget and regularly reviewing spending and organizational accounts.
- Support The Mayapple School staff members as able and requested by aiding in the hiring/interviewing process, sourcing needed volunteers, organizing volunteer opportunities, ensuring appropriate professional development, planning special events, evaluating parent and staff handbooks, and other administrative supports.
- Commit to serving for one year as a board member.
- Keep confidential information confidential.
- Promptly disclose any conflicts of interest.
- Can fulfill expectations and responsibilities as above.
- Have knowledge of and fully support The Mayapple School’s philosophy and values. These individuals believe in the importance of project based learning and nature education for young children and recognize The Mayapple School as an essential program offering for early childhood education in the New River Valley.
- Use passion to fuel their internal incentive for action. These individuals know how to act on plans, overcome obstacles, and create change. Individuals should have previous experience demonstrating initiative and problem solving. To create the best Mayapple School, we need board members who feel confident in presenting their unique ideas and have the grit to see project work through until completion.
- Are respected in the community with positive community contacts and relationships.
- Have special skills or occupations to share, such as: previous non-profit or for-profit board leadership, real estate, law, education, marketing, fund raising, project management, etc.
Nominations for The Mayapple School Board of Advisors are currently being accepted for one or more upcoming open seats. If you would like to be considered, please fill out the application. Click here for the application. Thank you for honoring us with your nomination.